Roles are a collection of pre-defined policies that are specific actions within LiveWire. For each role, one or more Polices are selected, and users or Active Directory groups are assigned. LiveWire includes a default set of roles (Administrator, Monitor, and Operator), with each providing a unique set of policies to the users and active directory groups assigned to the role. A user given the configure engine policy shall have the ability to adjust the policies within each of these roles. A user with the configure engine policy can also add additional roles.
Each role has the following components:
◦ Role name: The name given to the role.
◦ Role description: A short description that describes the role.
◦ Filters: Filters can be configured to limit access to certain data in addition to global policies. See Configuring Filters for Roles.
◦ Users/Groups: Users are the list of individual users of a system with a valid username/password that are assigned to a role. If Active Directory groups are enabled, groups are a list of the Active Directory groups assigned to a role. Users always maintain control over their own data, for example, deleting a capture they started. See also Manage Users for Roles and Manage Groups for Roles.
◦ Policies: Policies are specific actions within the product that LiveAction chooses to control with permissions, for example, starting a capture. Policies are applied to roles only. See Policy Descriptions.