Using Capture Engines with Omnipeek
About Capture Engines
If you are using Omnipeek as a console for distributed Capture Engines, you will need to connect to the Capture Engines from the Capture Engines window in Omnipeek. (If you are using Omnipeek as a network analyzer only, and not as a console for distributed Capture Engines, you do not need to review this chapter.)
Capture Engines let you capture and analyze data at any location across the network. Capture Engines perform real-time network analysis from the Omnipeek console on traffic from one or more network interfaces, including Ethernet, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac wireless, 1 Gigabit, 10 Gigabit, and 40 Gigabit. Capture Engine features include:
• Statistical and packet analysis, including packet flows and details about nodes, applications, protocols, and sub-protocols. See Expert Analysis and Displaying and Reporting Statistics.
• Application layer expert diagnoses and application response time analysis. See Expert Applications view.
• Expert systems diagnoses, including streams-based packet analysis and correlations between events and conversations. Expert Analysis.
• VoIP signaling and media analysis. See Voice & Video Analysis.
The Capture Engines window in Omnipeek lets you view and interact with Capture Engines, which do not have a user interface of their own. Capture Engines are configured with the Capture Engine Configuration Wizard, either from the computer on which they are installed or from the Omnipeek computer using the Capture Engine Manager application. Please see Configuring a Capture Engine.
NOTE: To configure Capture Engine for Omnipeek (Linux), you must configure it from the Omnipeek computer using the Capture Engine Manager for Omnipeek application.
The Capture Engines window in Omnipeek lets you:
• Connect, disconnect, or reconnect to one or more Capture Engines
• View summaries of all captures on each connected Capture Engine
• Create and manage captures on any connected Capture Engine
• Manage filters, alarms, and notifications on any connected Capture Engine
NOTE: For information on how to install, configure, and update settings and software on one or more Capture Engines, see Configuring and updating Capture Engine settings. For detailed instructions, refer to the Capture Engine for Omnipeek Getting Started Guide that ships with the Capture Engine or the online help in the Capture Engine Manager application.